Saturday, November 29, 2008

The Best Small Art Museum

A few days ago, I was in Sheboygan, WI, about an hour north of Milwaukee, to visit the John Michael Kohler Arts Center.  In my estimation, it is one of the best small museums around.  The work shown is innovative and of high quality, and includes everything from outsider art to tech-based work.

The first time I saw Daniel Rozin's work, one of the artists from the Act/React show at MAM, was at JMKAC a couple of year's ago.  We were so fascinated as we walked past the various pieces and watched as our images emerged in them and followed our movements.  Either the wood tiles would shift or brightly colored paint dripping down the screen would change to the colors that we were wearing and in the shapes of our bodies.  What fun!  Sure made me wish I knew just how one manages to create these terrific installations.

Currently, the JMKAC has a show entitled "Renee Lotenero: Shape and Shatter".  Her pieces consist of mixed media collaged with intricate drawings.  Lots of empty, white space surrounds her pieces.  The more time that I spent looking at this lovely work, the more I found and the more that I liked them. (Closes Jan. 18, 2009).

In another room, being shown is "Kathryn E. Martin: Flotant".  Kathryn uses the rims of "50,000 styrofoam cups" constructed and suspended on plastic rods in such a way that you feel like you are floating in the space.  It feels wonderful to stand in the middle of the space and let yourself become a part of it.  My suggestion is that you go to the JMKAC website (http://www.jmkac.com) to see a photo of her exhibit.  I really can't do justice in describing it. (Closes Jan. 11,2009).

One other show that we loved was:  "Messages & Magic:  100 Years of Collage and Assemblage in American Art". (Closes Jan. 25, 2009).

I wanted to mention these shows as I am hoping that if you haven't been up to see this gem of a museum, you should, and if you haven't been for awhile, don't wait any longer.  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Cardi,thank you for your review of local art centers worth seeing. Kohler is high on my list.
A few weeks ago, Olivia, Ethan and I saw Act/React at the MAM. We had so much fun! The children are at this age where the novelty of going to the museum has worn off. Not this time. Ethan was unstoppable (if this was not a word before, it is now)interacting with lines and colors on the floor and Olivia and I could not get enough of talking to people about "how it works". If one defines art as experiencing the world around us as an esthetically stimulating learning process, the show was truely artistic. While this holds for all people, especially for children it it important to understand that art is not a static and one-sided process. It's about experience and relating to creative though processes, initiated by others. They got it, I got it, we had a great fun afternoon. And we are still talking about it...