Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Creative Block

This topic has become much too personal for me. In the past, having a creative block was frustrating. In fact, the first one was a bit terrifying as I was convinced, as are so many others, that I would never have another creative thought again. I wasn't even sure what to do about it. At some point, I found that if I went back into my studio, cleaned, reorganized and, finally, just began scribbling on paper, I would suddenly feel the creative ideas begin to sprout. Of course, that was when I did a lot of drawing and painting.

Photography, and particularly the type of photography that I do, presents a different problem. Just taking photos does not bring me back to the creative spot. There has to be a starting point for me and then, if I'm lucky, ideas begin to evolve. When it happens, it is so exciting and energizing. When it doesn't, it makes me want to scream or quit. Well, you say, what kind of a creative soul are you if you just give up? I am definitely not a quitter.

What can cause a creative block? For me, it could be that I've explored the series that I've worked on to the fullest and must now find a new idea for a series. It could be outside situations that cause such turmoil inside oneself that it makes concentrating very difficult. It could be that there are times when one has to make decisions about which direction one wants his or her life to go. No doubt that if you are an actively creative person, you have found something that creates a block for you. During this creative block, I find that all of the above has been part of my lack of imagination. This time, my block does feel permanent. It won't be because I won't let it but the struggle is a difficult one.

If anyone of you who may be reading this has experienced this situation, I would love to have you add your comments, problems, solutions that have worked for you, etc. A discussion is always much more interesting.


No comments: