Friday, March 12, 2010

Nautilus Shell


This shell has fascinated me for years. One of my professors, years ago, had given me a whole nautilus shell plus two halves. While in Florida, I purchased a pearlized nautilus and two paper nautilus shells. The paper nautilus shells are so thin and fragile that I'm almost afraid to pick them up. I've photographed them straight and am now including them in setups that give them a Daliesque appearance. The shell never bores me.

The odd thing about the work that I am doing now is that they are so much darker in appearance. My past work has been much more colorful with brighter colors. I don't' know if the difference is that my older work usually began with a flower or two and grew from there. I'm always fascinated with how one's inner being leads us along the creative path.

No comments: